Welcome to our website.
NAFN exists to support its members in protecting the public interest. It is the largest shared service in the country – managed by, and for the benefit of its members.
NAFN is an unincorporated organisation – it is hosted by two local authorities (Tameside MBC and Brighton & Hove City Council), which provide the initial resources to enable services to be delivered to members. NAFN is a not-for-profit organisation - each member pays a proportionate share of the operating costs, which is used to reimburse the host authorities. The NAFN Executive Board is elected annually by members at the AGM.
Membership is open to any organisation which has responsibility for managing public funds/assets. Membership and use of NAFN services is entirely voluntary; this ensures we deliver value for money. As of January 2013, 85% of local authorities (347) are members and we have 21 members from affiliated organisations including Registered Social Landlords. Membership levels are at an all time high and we have recruited no less than nine new members in the last quarter.
Users of NAFN services include:
· Enforcement & Regulation Teams
· Corporate Fraud
· Housing Benefit Fraud
· Internal Audit
· Housing Services
NAFN operates via this secure website, and we have over 8,000 registered users.
NAFN’s key services include:
- Acquiring data legally, efficiently and effectively from a wide range of information providers
- Acting as the hub for the collection, collation and circulation of intelligence alerts
- Providing best practice examples of process, forms and procedures
The key benefits provided by NAFN for its members include:
- Compliance with the law & best practice: All data is acquired in full compliance with the law and best practice. Our systems are secure and centrally maintained to the highest standards. NAFN is recognised as an expert provider of data services by the Interception of Communications Commissioner's Office, the Home Office, the DWP and the DVLA amongst others.
- Efficiency savings: Membership of NAFN significantly reduces recruitment, training and process costs for individual members - NAFN provides a pool of trained & accredited staff. NAFN also negotiates savings for its members.
- Effectiveness: Because NAFN is recognised by key stakeholders and can act on behalf of all members, we are able to acquire data much faster than could be achieved by individual members.
NAFN is a unique organisation. We are recognised by members and key stakeholders as a centre of excellence dedicated to supporting our members in protecting the public purse from fraud, abuse and error. We work with major information providers to deliver legally compliant, efficient and effective services.
Collectively, NAFN members benefit from the strength of a national organisation dedicated to supporting each member to manage public funds and assets effectively.
If you are interested in membership or have a general enquiry, please go to the Contact Us page in the About NAFN section for our contact details. If you are a member of the public and wish to report a fraud that may be affecting a local authority or local authorities, please click HERE.